Second St. Charles' Church Dedicated
Appearing in The Tidings - January 27, 1939
Surrounded by a crowd of more than 600 people, including about 40 monsignors and
priests, His Excellency, The Most Reverend John J. Cantwell, D.D., Archbishop of
Los Angeles, officiated last Sunday [January 22, 1939] morning at the dedication of St. Charles'
Church, North Hollywood.
Following the ceremony, His Excellency presided at a solemn Mass which was
celebrated by Rev. Noel Dillon, assisted by the Rev. James Rohan, of Oakland, as
deacon, and Rev. Maurice Dee as subdeacon.
Deacons of honor to the Archbishop were Rev. Leo Murphy and Rev. Edmund Keohan.
The sermon was preached by Right Rev. Msgr. Bernard J. Dolan, V.F., of Long
After the Mass dinner was served in the new rectory adjoining the church.
Designed to carry out the traditional style of the old Spanish Missions, the new
St. Charles Borromeo Church, located in North Hollywood, was completed July 14,
last year. To meet the spiritual needs of the Catholic population, sufficient
property was purchased in May of 1937 for the erection of a completely equipped
parochial plant, including church, rectory, school and convent.
Ground was broken at the new location on Moorpark Street near Lankershim
Boulevard in December of the same year, and Mass was solemnly celebrated in the
new church for the first time, July 17, 1938, by Father H. C. Meade, pastor.
Although it recalls the quiet dignity of the old missions, the new $50,000
edifice has been carefully provided with modern equipment to take care of the
wants and comforts of the congregation. Among its many modern features the
church has a combination heating and cooling system. Ventilation is managed by
10 electrically controlled windows high above the pews. By the simple expedient
of pressing a button the windows open completely within 8 seconds.
The floor of the church, itself, of block hardwood triply braced with steel,
slopes easily toward the spacious sanctuary, allowing all to witness the Holy
Liturgical music is provided by a $1,650 Hammond electric organ. Two great sound
rooms flanking the choir loft were especially constructed to enhance its tone
Perhaps the most predominant feature of the new church is its striking
simplicity. Built in the form of a cross in a manner to conform to Catholic
standards throughout the world, one's attention is caught and held immediately
upon entering, by the great cross above the altar. The life-like crucifix is an
exact reproduction of Spain's famed miraculous cross of Limpias, and the corpus
itself came from Spain.
The massive oaken altar is a masterpiece of handicraft, its exquisite artistry
making it blend perfectly with its liturgical surroundings. In the center panel
just below the altar table are hand-carved wheat stalks and grapes, symbols of
the materials for the Holy Sacrifice. Two other panels bracket it on either side
with 10-inch letters giving the name of Jesus in Greek.
A star window with a stained glass representation of the patron of the parish,
St. Charles Borromeo, has been placed above the entrance and seems to command
the entire church.
Mr. Laurence D. Voilé, an expert in Spanish architecture, worked with Messrs.
Barker and Ott in the designing of the building. William Petley was the builder.
TODAY - St. Charles Borromeo Parish Hall (Old Church)